How to Take Two Column Notes:
- Give your page a heading. It should be connected to the lesson or topic you want to study.
- Divide your page into two sections. The section on the left should take up approximately 1/3 of the page while the right should take up about 2/3 of the space.
- If you have a study guide available, copy vocabulary words, key concepts and study questions from the guide into the left column. Leave enough space between these items for you to write the corresponding answer in the right column.
- If you do not have a study guide to help you, develop your own study questions as you read through material or review your class notes.
- To save time, leave the left column blank while taking notes in class, from an assigned reading or during a research session. You can create study questions later. Creating these study questions is a good way to review your notes. Developing study questions forces you to actively engage with what you are reading, which will help you remember more material.